Tuesday, April 3, 2012

SciFi/Fantasy TV (What I'm Watching) : Game of Thrones

This is such a good time to be a geek-girl. Oh my happy eyes.  I know there are a bunch of shows that people have massively different takes on, but there are many that I enjoy.

Geeking-out was one of the first things my guy and I shared in common.  From Sci Fi to science documentaries and books, we shared a lot in common from the get go.

So when **** flew into the fan, and the customary dinner out was no longer an option, we fell on some series show-watching for our "time together."

I discovered that TV shows, of a decent quality can actually be inspirational.  This was not something I discovered as a  kid, as my family didn't have cable till I was in High School.  Even then, I didn't spend a lot of time in front of the screen.  

Now, however, I watch plenty.   Is that a  bad thing?  I don't know. 

Thankfully, there are plenty of SciFi and Fantasy shows on that I enjoy,  from the acting and writing to the whole art of some of these shows.   

The premier of its type, at the moment is Game if Thrones, which just kicked off its second season.  What a start it was!  I can't wait to see more.  

I love the fact that the  first season stuck as closely to the book as it did.  While the director said that they will play with the order of events in this season just to keep the predominately now-well-read audience on the edge of their sofas, I can't wait to see what they are going to do.

The scenery is just spectacular.  Every scene is very well placed, and the costume design is perfect. While I know this sounds like superficial details, they are each incredibly important in creating the world.  The setting is so important in fantasies because it creates the mood, the depth, and the basis of relationship to the reader.  While characters drive the story, the setting is like the canvas of the painting.  Without it, the superb detail of the characters would be reduced to nothing more than sketches.  

I think it is easier to get good actors than it is to get a Fantasy setting right on a screen.  Not to say that good acting is easy to find, but look into what they did to get these scenes right of the series -- Iceland, Turkey, Croatia, Ireland...   

You plop the outstanding cast in roles perfect to their ability and add the appropriate setting and wow--they really did a good job bringing this series to life.

I'm not going to go into what the series is about, but I recommend watching and reading it, both.  A perfect way to wind down the evening!

What is your favorite book adaption to screen? Big or small screen?    

0 comments:

Post a Comment