Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Reading and Stuff

I finally am catching up on my Google Reader subscriptions. For awhile they were merely collecting while I focused on job hunting and writing. Now, I'm in training for a cafe position that may or may not pan out. The economy not only hit Sacramento, but has kept pounding it into the ground. My old college's career center evidences this fact as it keeps trying to convince me I need to move across the country (as is Monster) when they e-mail me details on really cool jobs in New York, Pennsylvania, or wherever.

Sorry, still have stuff to do in Sactown.

Technology is the big distraction in my house. My guy and I read a bazillion blog posts about the iPad when it came out(not really, but y'know...). Then there is his not-so-subtle love for the HTC Evo 4G... and provided that the TV is also the main PC monitor...the news is right there, in front of my face. Distracting, made even more so because it is so fascinating. I do half of my blogging sitting on the couch in the living room, anyway.

Then there was the release of Silver Borne by Patricia Briggs. I've been following her since I stumbled over her second book, over ten years ago. She was a new author back then, and a bit obscure because of that. When I discovered my friend Lucille also followed Briggs while we were both in High School, we became fast friends. We have bought each other Briggs' books for birthdays and such for the past few years now that adulthood has found us.

I'm still collecting Chinese myths for my new project, and am trying to develop the courage to call a few friends I haven't spoken too in a looonngg time because they might have helpful knowledge in this area. Ok, it's one person. But still, we're no longer terribly close and hanging out is just, well, awkward. I'll do it for the story though. I might need a translator and said person is fluent in Mandarin and fully Chinese-literate last I knew. That's kind of a rarity here in Sacramento, from what I've seen of my age group.

Lucille, actually, has been the biggest help, running things by her mother. But Lucille is in the last stretch of dental school, so I'm trying to avoid from calling her with inane Jing/Lara questions.

That said, the story is building in the back of my mind. I think on it a little, and there are more characters, firmer settings and structures. I have to write it soon, and I'm aching too, but I also don't want to ruin this one. I know that if I research just a bit more, plan just a bit more, before I get too attached to anything I'll have a far better product for the first write through. Then...I get to address the other story trying to rattle around in my head. After Lara has had her say.

0 comments:

Post a Comment